Thursday, March 26, 2009

Second day of Get Big

Today was much different than the first day. Today was exclusively unilateral work. I did all of the following as one big giant set (that is, exercise 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, and then start back with 1 again) with minimal rest in-between. I had to go take my daughter to school for a club meeting (before school) so I had to finish quickly:

  • 1-arm bent over row, 65 lbs
  • 1-arm shoulder press, 40 lbs
  • Bulgarian split squat, 2x40 lbs
  • Standing 1-arm triceps extension, 20 lbs

The first exercise was supposed to be a 1-arm seated cable row, but the cable machine is still out of order. This substitution seamed to be fairly reasonable. I will increase all of my weights next week. I tend to underestimate the weights that I can do during the first week of a new program. That's going to be especially true with programs from this book with its emphasis on lifting speed.

I finished all of these in 28 minutes. Pretty amazing. With the combination of giant set protocol and unilateral work, I could basically eliminate the rest time in-between exercises. The benefit of unilateral work is basically two-fold. First, it reduces the overall weights that can be lifted and thus is easier on the body (at least, that's my experience with it). Second, it also naturally takes more time to complete the exercise since you have to do it separately with each side; this extra time can be counted as "rest time" between exercises although you're actually working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment