Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Losing max strength

I haven't done heavy bench pressing for a couple of months. I'm not doing any serious tricep or chest work this week (or next) so I decided to get a few sets of heavy bench in this morning. I did a few reps at 90+bar just to warm up. Then I put another 50 on, so that was 185 lbs total. Since my max is 225 (tested back in December), I wasn't too worried about it. Well, maybe I should have been. I got a set of 3, then 2, then 1. I could probably have done more in the second and third set but I didn't have a spotter and didn't want to push it. But still. Hmmm.

I'm surprised. It's not like I'm weak or anything. And it's not like I'm worried about getting that strength back. But I'm still surprised at how heavy that weight felt in my arms. I'll just have to keep this in mind when I start to lift heavy again. I'm going to need to build a base up before I start pushing for a new PR.

No comments:

Post a Comment