Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Easing the hand stress on deadlifts

I got my Lynx Performance Grips yesterday in the mail — just in time for my heavy deadlifting this morning. I still have the big exposed piece of flesh on my hand that I wrote about previously from my last heavy deadlifting session (and that was the impetus for their purchase along with the recommendation by Eric Cressey).

My impressions of this product? Good stuff. I have lifting gloves but I have found that they make it more difficult for me to hold onto the bar so I have tended not to use them much with heavy lifting. With these grips I immediately noticed the decrease in strain on the skin of my hands. No surprise since these are not much more than a couple millimeter-thick piece of rubber placed in between my hands and the rough texture of the bar. I'm guessing this will lead to a decrease in the level of callouses that I currently have. The question in my mind was how much these would affect my ability to hold the bar. It appears that, overall, they didn't increase or decrease my ability to hold the weight. Given the increase in comfort and the decreased odds of ripping the skin off my hands, I will continue to use these grips when deadlifting heavy weights.

No comments:

Post a Comment