Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The essentials

There are essential fatty acids. There are essential amino acids (from proteins). But there's no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. None. Why not? Because they aren't essential to living. Dr. Michael Eades explains this really well, even if others don't understand his points. We don't have to get what glycogen we need from carbohydrates; our bodies can make them from the protein we eat via gluconeogenesis. Further, we don't have to worry too much about how much we eat if we're eating minimal carbs; our bodies do a really good job of regulating our weight as long as we're not overfeeding on carbs.

I have been eating very low carb (maybe 50g per day, none from processed foods) for about 18 months. I have never felt better. I have a check-up in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to get my blood test results back. I'll definitely share them when the time comes.

1 comment:

  1. My wife just joined NutriSystem. She is excited about her adventure. Ever heard of it?

    As for me, I recently joined the Health Club and am already getting results. OH Yeah, WHOOOoo!

    ReplyDelete